Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Comparison of Kimball and Inmon Methods

I have always been bugged and intrigued by Kimball and Inmon methods of Data Warehouse. Some questions that always used to bother me was:
What is the Kimball Method?
How is Inmon's Datawarehouse different from Kimball's?
Which model am I working on? Strangely I did not knew this, except for the fact that it was a Dimensional Model.

I could find a plethora of articles on web. But this one by Mary Breslin is the best. "Data Warehousing Battle of the Giants: Comparing the Basics of the Kimball and Inmon Models". The article explains both the methods, does a fair analysis and comparison and also suggest which approach is best in a given scenario.

I could also find a link to the Presentation for the same article. You can download the PDF here.

No comments:

Post a Comment